Getting started with OmegaTOmegaT http://omegat.org is an Open Source, CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tool. From the intro on their website:
OmegaT is a free translation memory application written in Java. It is a tool intended for professional translators. It does not translate for you! (Software that does this is called "machine translation", and you will have to look elsewhere for it.)The good thing about OmegaT is that it's available in Windows, Linux and Mac, so what you learn can be used everywhere.
Obtaining the program
Go to the OmegaT website
http://omegat.org and click 'in English'. We strongly advise you to use the English version because that one is the most up to date and contains the complete manual.
You enter the Introducing OmegaT page.
- In the left Menu, click Download OmegaT. You enter the Download OmegaT page.
- OmegaT is available in many versions. Click Dowload Selector. You enter the OmegaT Download Selector, Step 1: Select from Traditional, Web Start or Expert page. Select: Traditional
- You enter the OmegaT Download Selector, Step 2: Platform (operating system) page. Select: Windows, Linux or Mac OS X.
- You enter the OmegaT Download Selector Step 3: With or without JRE page. Select: With JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
- You enter the OmegaT Download Selector Step 4: "Standard" or "Latest" page. Select: Standard.
- On your PC a pop-up window opens and you can download the
OmegaT_<version>_<OSType>.<extension> of OmegaT.
Select a place to download the program and download it.
Start the program and carefully follow the opening page with the short instructions that start with: Learn to use OmegaT in 5 minutes!. We have a fully illustrated guide to help you if the online 5 minutes guide is too much a shortcut.
DocumentationApart from the 5 minutes intro, OmegaT has a comprehensive Users Manual, accessible via the Menu bar of the program. Select Help or press the F1 key on your keyboard.
An 'OmegaT_for_Beginners' tutorial can be downloded from
our website. Please print this 26 page document so you can read and do at the same time.
More cocumentation can be found on the OmeagT Documentation page.
An excellent site with documentation in Català (2.0.5), Deutsch (1.8.1), English (2.9.9), Español (2.3.0), Français (1.4.4), Türkçe (2.0.5) and even more: http://ob.nubati.net/ditundat/omegat/docs/